What is Linear Assessment?
Rather than use coursework grades and modular tests at the end of each topic, exam boards are now following Government guidelines and testing students at the end of the two year course at GCSE and A Level.
Coursework still exists in a few subjects but its weighting is reduced.
What are the implications for your son?
He needs to:
- Be familiar and hopefully comfortable with a formal exam in the main hall under exam conditions.
- Recall and formulate facts in the exam whilst drawing on topics taught over a 2 year period.
- Write an extended answer in paragraphs for up to 2 hours 30 minutes under exam conditions.
- Write accurately and legibly using correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.
What are we doing to support your son?
- From Year 7 he will sit English and Maths exams under exam conditions.
- Teachers will emphasise the importance of spelling, punctuation, grammar and legible handwriting.
Progress 8 – Explained
Progress 8 is a new measure of school performance. It replaces the previous measure of 5A*-C including English and maths, and shows how well pupils of all abilities have progressed, compared to pupils with similar academic starting points in other schools.
Please watch the following video that explains the new measure.
Please see the following documents regarding each subjects exam topics.