St Cuthbert’s Catholic High School – e safety for students
For up to date advice and support click here
Whilst exciting and beneficial both in and out of the context of education, much ICT, particularly web-based resources, are not consistently policed. All users need to be aware of the range of risks associated with the use of these Internet technologies and that some have minimum age requirements, usually 13 years.
At St Cuthbert’s, we understand the responsibility to educate our students on eSafety Issues; teaching them the appropriate behaviours and critical thinking skills to enable them to remain both safe and legal when using the internet and related technologies, in and beyond the context of the classroom.
Through the home-school agreement we ask all students to follow this code:
Acceptable Use Agreement: Students
- I will only use ICT systems in school, including the internet, e-mail, digital video, and mobile technologies for school purposes
- I will not download or install software on school technologies
- I will only log on to the school network, other systems and resources with my own user name and password
- I will follow the school’s ICT security system and not reveal my passwords to anyone and change them regularly.
- I will make sure that all ICT communications with students, teachers or others is responsible and sensible
- I will be responsible for my behaviour when using the Internet. This includes resources I access and the language I use
- I will not deliberately browse, download, upload or forward material that could be considered offensive or illegal. If I accidentally come across any such material I will report it immediately to my teacher
- I will not give out any personal information such as name, phone number or address. I will not arrange to meet someone unless this is part of a school project approved by my teacher
- I am aware that when I take images of students and/ or staff, that I must only store and use these for school purposes in line with school policy and must never distribute these outside the school network without the permission of all parties involved, including in school breaks and all occasions when you are in school uniform or when otherwise representing the school
- I will ensure that my online activity, both in school and outside school, will not cause my school, the staff, pupils or others distress or bring the school community into disrepute, including through uploads of images, video, sounds or texts
- I will support the school approach to online safety and not deliberately upload or add any images, video, sounds or text that could upset any member of the school community
- I will respect the privacy and ownership of others’ work on-line at all times
- I will not attempt to bypass the internet filtering system
- I understand that all my use of the Internet and other related technologies can be monitored and logged and can be made available to my teachers
- I understand that these rules are designed to keep me safe and that if they are not followed, school sanctions will be applied and my parent/carer may be contacted